The Olympia Theatre
For the most up-to-date information regarding re-opening dates, opening times and ticket prices, please refer to the websites of the individual attractions.
Originally opened as a music hall in 1879, it underwent several re-brandings until it reopened as “The Empire Palace” theatre in 1897. This name stuck through the Great War, the Easter Rising and the Civil War until it was re-branded once more and finally opened as “The Olympia Theatre” in 1923, presenting not only drama but also ballet, opera, film and even pantomime. In the 1970s destruction stuck and the roof of the building collapsed during a rehearsal for West Side Story. For almost two years the theatre remained closed until it reopened in 1977. In 2015/2016 it has undergone refurbishment to not only be a state-of-the-art theatre but also to provide the theatre-goers with an incredible experience.
In the past decades, several world-famous performers have been guests of the Olympia Theatre, such as Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy and Marcel Marceau. The venue also hosts many concerts every year with famous names such as David Bowie, Adele and Bryan Adams, having played in the venue in the past.
This historic theatre is located on Dame Street, only 20 minutes on foot from The Spencer.
The newly renovated Olympia Theatre’s ground floor stalls are fully wheelchair accessible.
If you have a special accommodation request please contact the venue directly and they will assist you with whatever is necessary. Trained assistance dogs are welcome in the theatre.
Some visitor tips for The Olympia:
- You can buy tickets at the Ticketmaster outlet in the Olympia Box Office at 73 Dame Street, Dublin 2. Please note: You can pay by cash or card. Bookings cannot be taken over the phone, walk-in sales only.
- Cameras are not permitted during the show.
- Tickets indicate show times and door opening times.
- You can check out event information on the Olympia website or call the Box Office on 01 679 3323 (dial 1).
- If you’re interested in getting into the pit that is situated very close to the front of the stage and offers great views, you are recommended to get there early as wristbands are given on a first come first served basis.
- Selfie sticks are not allowed.
Location: 72 Dame St, Temple Bar, Dublin 2, D02 K135
T: 01 679 3323
Click below to book your stay at the Spencer Hotel.
While the safety and welfare of our guests and team members is always our priority, we have implemented additional measures in response to the impact of Covid-19 to mitigate any potential risks and follow the recommended guidelines from the health authorities. Click here for access to our Covid-19 Policy.