Please note that opening times of the below sights and attractions may vary, in light of the current situation with Covid-19. For the most up-to-date information regarding re-opening dates, opening times and ticket prices, please refer to the websites of the individual attractions.
The Spencer Hotel Dublin is located in a convenient location to get to Dublin Zoo, the perfect activity for a fun day out for the whole family. Dublin Zoo is located in the picturesque setting of Dublin’s Phoenix Park, which is approximately 4 miles from the hotel. You can take your car, travel by LUAS tram to Heuston Station or take a short taxi ride to get to the Zoo.
At the zoo, you will be able to learn loads of interesting facts about all of the different animals, including endangered species. Dublin Zoo is one of the oldest zoos, dating back to 1831. It is currently home to over 400 animals. When you visit the zoo and buy a ticket, a certain amount goes towards the maintenance of the zoo. You can travel around 28 hectares of land to see what all the animals are up to in their different enclosures. The ethos of Dublin Zoo is to educate people and to give a sense of appreciating wildlife.
Dublin Zoo outline that conserving the habitat for animals is at the top of their priority list. Their list of habitats include:
- African Savanna – to try and imitate what would be seen on an African safari.
- Family Farm – learn all about farm animals.
- Kaziranga Forest Trail – an Asian rainforest in the middle of Dublin. Built for the needs of the elephants, you will see a waterfall surrounded by forest and bamboo and most importantly the elephants!
- Gorilla Rainforest – home to Western Lowland Gorillas which are the largest primates in the world.
- Zoorasic world – Dublin Zoo’s newest installment. Holding the reptiles as well as some very large dinosaur skeletons.
- South American House – home to nine species of monkeys, tortoises and parrots from Central and South America.
- Asian Forests – features beautiful flora and fauna and is home to lions and tigers.
- Orangutan Forest – home to 4 orangutans this forest features many large trees, encouraging orangutans natural climbing behaviours.
- Sea Lion Cove – home to very cute sea lions.
- The Penguin Habitat – a natural environment for 13 Humboldt penguins, reflecting their natural habitat.
Location: Phoenix Park, Dublin 8
T: 01 474 8900
Click below to book your stay at the Spencer Hotel.
While the safety and welfare of our guests and team members is always our priority, we have implemented additional measures in response to the impact of Covid-19 to mitigate any potential risks and follow the recommended guidelines from the health authorities. Click here for access to our Covid-19 Policy.